Here is a brief, yet comprehensive list of my observations to-date about having given up TV for Lent:
- Turns out, while I do watch a lot of TV programs, and frequently have TV on as a backdrop to my life, I also waste quite a bit of time on the internet.
- I have read one new play, one old book, and some of my homework reading for school.
- I have had more meaningful conversations with my husband even though we have spent less time in the same room together.
- I have sung many songs, too many to count, most of them not real.
- I have prayed for people and myself.
- For whatever reason I have not cleaned the kitchen or folded the laundry, though I thought I might.
- I have power napped.
- I have thought deeply about the past and future.
- I have discovered how much I love our house in silence.
- I know Sunday I will feel the magnitude of my TV fast as I do not watch the Oscars.
The first few days have been about not watching TV. I hope the rest of Lent for me will be about using my new free time more meaningfully. Baby steps.